tclug-list-request at mn-linux.org, circa Mon, 07-Oct-2002 at 10:15AM:

Tim Wilson wrote:

> 1. Support different systems of calculating grades such as "total
> points" where your grade is simply an average of all points earned
> during the term and "weighted grades" where the overall grade is some
> weighted average of homework, quizzes, exams, etc. Of course, the
> categories will need to be flexible since different teachers approach
> the categories differently.

Save yourself a lot of work:  These are not different systems of
grading, from a mathematics point of view.  The first is merely the
case where all weights are equal.  Save yourself a lot of work by only
implementing one routine, but parameterizing the weights and setting
them all equal to 1 (I believe) for the first case.

Phil M

--
www.rephil.org / University of Minnesota

"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable" -- Anonymous