I have a 40GB drive in my HP laptop and it's silent and seems fast enough.
I briefly daydreamed of a bigger one or a second drive and discovered that
local shops don't even know that laptop drives larger than 20GB exist.
Prices locally will be sky high.  I think IBM made a 120GB laptop drive, but
I haven't seen them advertised recently.  Go online and be sure of
availability before you commit the order.