A friend of my wife asked me to build her a home system, which I'm in the
process of pricing out. She's a teacher and uses "Making the Grade"
(http://www.gradebusters.com/software.htm) for the Mac on her school computer.
Now, while she intends to use her home computer for the internet and word
processing, it would be nice if she could also work on the grades at home. After
googling around some, most of the Linux gradebook software is either no longer
in development or is some half-baked project that doesn't compare with the
existing Mac and Windows software. Can anyone recommend a gradebook program with
a reasonably complete set of features that can import "Making the Grade" files?
Or, barring that, one that would work on both Mac (Classic) and Linux?
    Also, I thought I would run this by the group before making any final
purchases. I'm thinking of buying an Amptron K7-810XLM SIS730 motherboard
(http://nanosys1.com/mb-am-k7-810xlm.html) since it includes both the graphics
chipset and a built-in modem. True, the modem is pretty much a winmodem, but
apparently there are drivers for Linux. The reviews I've read have said that the
3d graphic capabilities suck, but I doubt she'll be playing Q3 any time soon.