From: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of jeffr at odeon.net
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 12:57 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] removable storage options

There are many such devices for USB 1.1/2.0 and firewire.  Here's a link
to a place that sells them online:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=92&manu
factory=1281&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

They have models that will hold a 3.5" or a 5.25" EIDE device, as well as
smaller models that will hold 2.5" laptop hard drives.

www.directron.com most likely has them too.

It might be worth checking at General Nanosystems (nanosys1.com) and at
Tran Micro (www.tranmicro.com), both of which are on University in
Minneapolis.

Actually, a quick peek at General Nanosystems website shows that they have
the larger ones.

http://www.nanosys1.com/storage-usb-firewire-drives.html

Looks like about $60 plus the price of the drive.  They appear to have a
40 gig Seagate drive for about $70.  $130 for a 40 gig USB 2.0 external
hard drive isn't bad at all.

I have used a USB 1.1 version of this sort of product with linux without
trouble.  It just looked like a USB storage device to the OS, just like my
Sandisk CF card reader.

CompUSA can be fun to browse at, but I generally find a better variety of
hardware and prices at General Nanosystems or Tran Micro.

Jeff