I asked about this in #tclug but no one there really knew, but I figured
I would ask here as well. The short of it is I attempted installing
Gentoo Linux on a [non-Compaq] PC with a Compaq Smart-2SL SCSI
controller (4x18.2 GB in RAID0 array, created prior to beginning
installation in Windows using Compaq's utility). I did modprobe sr_mod,
sd_mod, cpqarray. After doing this, there are no /dev/sd* devices
listed, but I get /dev/ida/c0d0 and /dev/rd/0. When I  fdisk
/dev/ida/c0d0, it gives me "you will not be able to write the partition
table", then "Unable to read /dev/ida/c0d0" and exits. fdisk /dev/rd/*
(contains rd0-rd15 and initrd) lets me into fdisk, tells me sector size
is 1024, not 512 (I think it's actually 128, maybe 512 though) and shows
the geometry as 1 head, 22000 sectors, 1 cylinder, so if I create one
partition, it ends up being the full amount, since there is only one
cylinder. If this doesn't work, I'm just scrapping it and I'll throw the
RAID stuff in a windows box, but I'd like to utilize it here if I can.
So if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
-John