On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 20:54, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:

> Anyone using this beast?
>
> I'm desperate to set up a non-computer person with a desktop on a
> Mandrake 8.1 system.  KDE is ALMOST right --- the desktop's great, but
> <rant>konqueror is totally bagbiting as a file manager (for heaven's
> sake, to make a new "folder," you gotta go under the Edit menu (which
> NO ONE uses for that), then open the create new choice, THEN choose
> directory (which only people like me know is what a folder really
> is). </rant>

I normally use Gnome, but IIRC, you can right-click pretty much anywhere
in the Konqueror window (the right side you're if in split-pane view)
and create a new folder/directory that way.

> So... I thought of nautilus.  But nautilus thinks star writer
> documents are zip archives and no matter what I do, I can't change
> it's mind.  <rant>I changed the &obscenity "file associations" in the
> &obscenity "control center" and it doesn't make any &obscenity
> difference.  I HATE GUI's.  Give me a CLI any day.</rant>

Nautilus looks at the file header to determine what file type it is.
Open/StarOffice files *are* zip files. Unzip the file, and you get 3
files: one xml, one css, and something else I don't remember at the
moment. THere may be a way to disable Nautilus from looking at the file
header to determine it's type. Maybe you need to tell it to only look at
the file extension? Dunno -- I use gnome-terminal (cd, ls, etc.) for my
file manager :-)

> This seems like a bug.

Not at all. It's a feature :-)