I mainly have experience with setting up webservers and the Redhat
default server partition setup is pretty good for that but I've had
trouble with a couple things:

1.  Redhat makes /var very small which isn't so bad except a few apps
like to put their data in /var (like mySQL and Apache.)  So if you want
to leave those in the default places I'd give /var at least a couple
gigs.

2.  Even if you make /var big enough eventually something will happen
that will make one of your log files go crazy and fill up your entire
/var partition which will kill any applications (mySQL) that use it to
store data.  So I'd think seriously about giving /var/log it's own
partition off someplace where it can't take any other processes down
with it.

I'd be interested to know how other people handle this stuff.  I suppose
a production database should usually run on it's own partition but it
seems like overkill when the database is 5MB and not growing.

Brady