On Wednesday 31 July 2002 01:38 pm, Lance Linder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Being new to the list and relatively new to Linux please don't flame me
> to badly ;)  That said here is my problem I am trying to solve.
>
> In my situation phone lines and dial up connections are relatively cheap
> but broadband connections of any kind are either non existent or
> ridiculously expensive.  What I am hoping to be able to do is set up a
> Linux server/router/firewall for a small LAN of say 4+ desktops.  I
> would like to have 2+ modems connected to the Linux box and run some
> software on this box that will balance a load across multiple modems.
>
> The first question is would this be possible?  Does Linux or some
> utility that runs on Linux have the capability to balance a load across
> X number of modems and would it be possible that this could increase
> available bandwidth for the client machines or would it sill only be 56k
> max for any given machine?

I looked at doing this about 2-3 years ago.  At the time I was using
multi-link on NT, and wanted to move to Linux.  I searched the newsgroups
on multi-link and Linux, and found somebody in Australia had written
something.  I sent him an e-mail and he was very helpful.  I never
actually did do it.  My isp was strictly NT, and couldn't handle
multi-link from anything else--that is something you have to check into,
your ISP has to be able to sync the lines on their end also.

Multi-link allows you to add the bandwidth of the modems together.  I had 3
56K modems, with a resulting effective bandwidth of about 147K.

Not a direct answer to your question, but HTH.
--
Thanks,

James Spinti
jspinti at dartdist dot com