On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 18:15:48 -0600
Scot Jenkins <scot at thinkunix.net> wrote:

> man tar for answers to both of your questions:
>
> to compress files via tar:
>
>        -z, --gzip, --ungzip
>               filter the archive through gzip

Yep, saw that as well as the -Z option which I believe was the standard compress.

> yes, it can span multiple tapes.  I've done this without problems.  As
> always YMMV.
>
>        -M, --multi-volume
>               create/list/extract multi-volume archive

Cool, thanks.  Shoulda paid more attention when reading for that.  Thanks for the look at your scripts.

> as far as remote backups via scp, similar to above but dd is your
> friend:
>
> ssh remotehost -C "/sbin/dump -0auf - /home | \
> 	dd of=/<backup_partition>/remotehost-home-full.dump
>
> this ssh's to remotehost and dumps the /home partition which is piped
> to the dd command (which runs on the host you want to store the
> backups on); dd writes the output file (of=).  If you setup ssh keys
> to allow the host doing the backup to ssh to the remotehost without a
> password you can run this backup from cron without user intervention.

Yep, plan on using cron/ssh/scp.  I'll have to look at the manpage for dd again.  I don't recall seeing a compression option there.  I was thinking of using scp because of my filesystem being larger than the tapes.

Thanks,

Shawn