I looked at it a while ago, and was helpful.  One which would be helpful to add, IMO, would be to show an option on how to compress data going through tar.

A question I have about tar:  Can it span tapes?  If so, how and would it be worth the risks?  I have an old DDS-1 drive.  The old 4GB of compressed data limitation kind of sucks.

Scot, can you show an example of your scripts?  Would be good to see how you do it for ideas.  I have some external machines to backup, so scp will be used instead.

On a side note, I've been seeing an ad in the past couple of LJ's for a free personal edition of Storix.  Never heard of them, but worth looking into:

http://www.storix.com

Thanks,

Shawn