Mike Hicks writes:
 > I'm using Evolution 1.0.5 that comes with Debian Woody for my mail.
 > Recently, the University started blocking junk mail hosts in various
 > ways.  This was fine until a few days ago when the U decided to block
 > mail coming from `dialup' lines (dial-up, cablemodem, etc), which has
 > blocked the SMTP gateway I've been using at my place.
 >
 > Now I have to start either sending mail through RoadRunner's mail
 > servers, or authenticate to smtp.umn.edu and send mail through there.  I
 > feel that it's less likely that the U will read my mail or turn it over
 > to someone without a fight than RoadRunner would, so I'd like to
 > authenticate.

That's probably not an accurate assumption.  I know that a few years
ago, a friend of mine, who was studying at the U was appalled to
receive an email from a sysadmin chiding her for using swear words in
her email.  And this wasn't email to a public forum, listserv, or
anything like that; it was just person-to-person email.  It's not
clear that sysadmins at the U are going to be more professional than
RoadRunner's....