On Monday 18 November 2002 07:11 pm, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> The problem is bootloaders use the BIOS to retrive the kernel. So the
> bootloader still isn't going to be able to boot the USB drive. The
> solution is to boot the kernel off floppy or the primary HD (you CAN boot
> the kernel off a FAT filesystem...) and use the USB drive for the root
> partition.

	Ok, any links to a floppy disk image capable of accessing the USB drive? I
installed the bootloader on /dev/sda6 (the USB drive) and made a boot disk,
but the boot disk panics. I also tried copying the boot sector of sda6 (using
Knoppix and 'dd=if=/dev/sda6 of=/mnt/floppy/bootsect.lin bs=512 count=1') and
then copying that to the Windows c: drive, but when I pointed the Windows
bootloader to that file, it just froze with the word "GRUB". My conclusion is
that the USB drive doesn't appear to the computer, so it just freezes solid.
So the only solution I can think of is to get a floppy image that has
usb-storage modules, so that I can tell it that / is on /dev/sda6. But where
can I find such an image, and how would I go about pointing it to the root
partition?
        Thanks,
        :Peter