Thought this might be of interest in the thread of deleting data from a
disk so that it is not recoverable.

Subject: Shark Tank: But it DID destroy the data
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:27:20 -0500
From: Computerworld_DailyShark at Computerworld.com
To: jspinti at dart.dartdist.com

                  COMPUTERWORLD DAILY SHARK
                      November 19, 2002

***************ADVERTISEMENT********************************

Integrate, Improve Access, Get Online - All From Your Legacy Systems
Your enterprise applications must adapt to new technologies. SEAGULL's
LegaSuite software evolves legacy applications to strategic, open
architectures.  Integrates applications with other platforms supporting
XML, .NET and Java.  And enhances the user experience and accessibility
with interfaces appropriate for Web, portal and desktop deployment.

Visit
http://www.computerworld.com/ads/go2/4880258.html

Shark Tank: But it DID destroy the data

At this small rural hospital, when IT staffers decommission old PCs,
they're careful to destroy all the data on the hard drives, says an IT
pilot fish there.

"Having no access to a regular disk-wipe system, we would always take
the hard drive out of the PC and into the room with the magnetic
resonance imaging machine," fish says.

"An MRI machine is primarily a huge electromagnet, so simply walking
into the room with the drive would scramble the bits."

But one day, a relatively new PC tech can't get the case off an old PC
to remove the hard drive. "He thought that if taking the hard drive
near the MRI would clean it, then surely taking the entire computer in
there would serve the same purpose," says fish.

So the tech loads the PC onto a cart and heads for Radiology, where he
enlists the help of the MRI tech in rolling the cart into the room.

"Bad idea," fish says. "The PC was just sitting on top of the cart,
and when they got to within 10 feet of the MRI machine's aperture, the
PC started to slide.

"It picked up speed, then literally flew off the cart, crashing into
the opening where a patient would lie during an exam."

There are gouges in the MRI machine. The legs of the cart have been
smashed. The PC's case looks like a crumpled fender. And the stunned PC
and MRI techs are just glad they weren't in the way when PC and cart
took off.

"We tried to get the PC out of the magnet without turning off the MRI,
because turning it off and back on and recalibrating it would take
three days and cost a bundle," fish says.

"We wrapped it with duct tape, tied three thick ropes to it, then
enlisted 12 large men from maintenance to try to pull it out."

No luck. When they pull, the PC floats in the opening, but they can't
drag it out.

"Yes, we had to turn the MRI off," says fish. "It took three days and
support folks from the vendor had to be flown in to restart it. Luckily
we were insured for loss of business.

"And we bought a disk-wipe system."

Can't get enough Tank?

Check out other bite-sized bits of humor, rumors, gossip and fun at
The Sharkives:

http://www.computerworld.com/departments/opinions/sharktank

NEW IN THE COMPUTERWORLD STORE
------------------------------

REPORTS, WHITEPAPERS AND MORE

The Computerworld Store, our newest online feature where you can get
clear, comprehensive reports on Security, Storage, ROI and more. Find
the information you need to get your job done. New reports added
regularly so check back often.
https://store.computerworld.com/?nlid=csgsh

CLUELESS CONSULTANTS?
---------------------
Bungling bosses? Useless users? Tell me your tale:
sharky at computerworld.com

If it gets printed, you get a sharp Shark shirt.

FEEDBACK
--------
To submit feedback about Computerworld's e-mails, contact our online
customer service group at online at computerworld.com. Please include the
following subscriber e-mail address in all correspondence:

jspinti at DARTDIST.COM

ADVERTISING
For information on advertising, contact
Norma_Tamburrino at computerworld.com