Peter Clark writes:
 > 	My father-in-law is in town and wants to install Mandrake 9.0 to his external
 > USB hard drive; the only problem is that his laptop BIOS doesn't support
 > booting to external devices. Would 'mkbootdisk' be able to do the job? If so,
 > how? Any other suggestions?

Well, you can use mkbootdisk to make a floppy that will kick-off the
boot process, and then do the rest of the job from the USB drive, but
I think other than that you're out of luck.

Actually, I think you could install one of the Linux bootloaders on
the laptop's hard drive, and have that either load windows or load
linux from the USB device.