[OK, I think I'm moving into OT-land here, because I don't think I
really have a Linux problem.  But hoping this isn't too far off, since
it's relevant to getting Linux booting...]

I was thinking that maybe the problem was in my SCSI adapter --- maybe
for some reason the disk isn't bootable.  So I was going to try to
check the SCSI BIOS.

Now, my board's manual says, apropos of "Accessing the System BIOS
Values":

Restart your computer system. The system detects the SCSI host
adapter, indicates that the system is running, conducts a BIOS scan,
and lists all peripherals on the SCSI chain. The AdvanSys banner
appears.

Unfortunately, this absolutely does NOT happen.  The SCSI controller
seems to be working properly, because it's detected and I can mount an
attached SCSI drive, read, and write it fine.

BUT I never seem to get the opportunity to meddle with the SCSI BIOS
(and I can press ^A until I'm blue in the face, and nothing happens,
except for the Tyan BIOS complaining that there's a stuck key).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,