On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Brian wrote:

> > 2. create a large file(2MB+ size determined by memory and disk
> > geometry?) with a null characters repeated as contents for the file.
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda seems to be fairly effective.  Usually one
> pass with 0s makes the drive immune to software recovery.

not quite true, a simple zero-fill does nothing to insure your security,
basic tools may not be able to recover the data, but ghost data can be
recovered after 5 zero-fills or in that neighborhood. it has to do with
the fact that the magnetic media keeps state for a long ass time. and a
zero-fill will overwrite "sectors" and "cylinders" but does not visit
every single bit on disk.

if you want to be sure, dd if=/dev/random
of=/dev/<drive> and repeat 10 or so times....

> What I'd like to do is to run wipe on a disk and send it to Ontrack to see
> if they can recover it.  Unfortunately there's a huge cost to that, but
> then I'd know for sure that 35 passes of random bits is truly good enough.
>
> -Brian

if you are going to do 35passes on a 160GB drive, might as well buy a new
one because by the time it is done TBmicrodrives will be in the penny
range...

Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET