Just out of curiosity, Bob, why did you switch from tcsh to bash?

I suppose it'll start a religious war, but I actually TRIED switching
to bash and then went back to tcsh.  The "killer app" for me was that
tcsh (from csh) had gobs of better pathname-editing operators (like
dropping the extension), easily available; and a more familiar
syntax.  bash offered unfamiliar syntax, didn't have my beloved $i:r
operation, and although it was better for programming, I figured perl
was better than the shell ANYWAY....

There!  That should roil the waters a bit!