I was getting the right mime-type using the method that you described,
Troy.  It seems that old faithful Apache was perfoming well as usual.
After thinking about your suggestion, I decided to look over the tcphp.org
mailing list and I found a solution in php that goes a little like this:

<?php

header("Content-Type: application/force-download");
header("Content-Type: audio/x-scpls");
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=listen.pls");

?>

It was just that Apache wasn't sending all the right kind of headers, so I
just told php to do it.

Thanks for the lead.  I needed a little kickstart today.