Doesn't something come with PGP where you can delete everything on a
disk, create random data, encrypt it, wipe that too repeat the data
several times... I think that is some sort of DoD standard too. After
something like that, or a few formats, data quite possibly wont be
recovered by software thats available for free or at a cheap price.