On Thursday 07 November 2002 01:02 pm, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Perhaps it is muted.  If you are using the ALSA drivers (I am not too
> familiar with MDK to say whether they use them or not), but they default to
> muted.

	No, I checked that--I opened kmix, cranked the volume up on just about
everything, and still didn't get any sound. Here's the weird part: if I pop
in an audio CD, I can play that just fine. But if I want to play an mp3, wav,
or other audio file, it doesn't work. Furthermore, when I restart arts, I get
the '/dev/dsp busy, using null device' message. This is true for both root
and an ordinary user.
	I tried to see if Knoppix would behave, but it gives a device error; I don't
have it loaded now, but it was something like,
'/usr/lib/...path_to_kernel_module/via_ac97.o device not found' or something
like that. In other words, Knoppix was able to detect the sound
card--otherwise how could it have known that it requires the via_ac97 (or
whatever it is) kernel module--but when the kernel module attempted to access
the device, it didn't work. This is rather perplexing.
	The system detects the sound card, lsmod shows a slew of drivers for ac97, so
drivers are getting loaded, but it doesn't work. I don't think there are any
IRQ conflicts, since lsmod shows it as IRQ 18; what are some ways I could
find out if it is a hardware problem or a conflict with another device?
	:Peter