On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Mark Courtney wrote:
> Can someone please tell me what "Special" characters can not be used in
> directory names?
>
> Here's what I have found from experimentation:
> ~ - tilde
> ` - backtick
> ! - exclamation
> / - duh

 Okay, I don't have any definitive list of ones that do or don't work, but
I managed to get all but '/' by escaping the characters with backslash
(\):

$ mkdir \~hi
$ mkdir \`hi
$ mkdir \!hi
$ ls -l
drwxrwxr-x    2 jima     jima         4096 Nov  5 06:41 `hi
drwxrwxr-x    2 jima     jima         4096 Nov  5 06:41 ~hi
drwxrwxr-x    2 jima     jima         4096 Nov  5 06:41 !hi
$ mkdir \/hi
mkdir: cannot create directory `/hi': Permission denied
$ mkdir h\/i
mkdir: cannot create directory `h/i': No such file or directory

 It was worth a shot.  To be honest, though, I suspect pretty much
anything besides '/' can be used, so long as you escape it.

 On second thought, it looks like quoting the directory name with single
quotes works, too:

$ rmdir '`hi'

 Double quotes work for most:

$ rmdir "~hi"

 But not exclamation:

$ rmdir "!hi"
bash: !hi: event not found
$ rmdir '!hi'

 I imagine these rules are somewhat shell-specific (I used bash, as
illustrated by that last error).  They almost undoubtedly apply to files,
too.
 Not exactly what you were looking for, but it's a hint.

     Jima