Thanks everyone for the suggestion on mii-tool.  It worked
like a charm.  Using /sbin/mii-tool showed me what the card
was currently set at and using the -F 100baseTx-FD eth0
statement forced it.  Very cool.

regards,

rotbau

> Hello All,
>
> I am usually in the habit of forcing my network servers
> 100 Mbps Full Duplex instead of rolling the dice with
auto
> negotiation (Netware and NT/W2K boxes).  We have had some
> problems in the past and forcing them leaves nothing to
> question.  I have done some googling and looked for how
> do this on Linux.  I have seen some refernces to a
options
> 0x16 or 0x32 and also some stuff like 100FD added to the
> config.  I have a couple of questions for the group.
>
> 1. Is it a good or bad idea to force duplex on Linux?

There's nothing intrinsically dangerous about it, if that's
what your
concern is.  It's never caused a kernel panic or anything
like that for
me.

> 2. If good, does anyone know the correct syntax and where
> to add it or at least a good source to find the answer?
Is
> this specific to the NIC you have in the box?

(as root:) /sbin/mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth0

I added it as a S99forceFD script in my /etc/rc3.d.

Some cards lack the mii (media-independent interface) so
this won't work
for them, but most have it.  Basically, if mii-tool can
read your card,
it'll be able to set it.

> 3. When I do an ifconfig I don't see it listed as to the
> mode 100 full or half, is there anyway to determine this?

/sbin/mii-tool by itself will give you the setting of each
interface.

> I am running RH 7.1, 2.4 kernel with a Intel Pro 100 nic.

Should work.  Let us know.

--
Carl Patten