On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:57:39AM -0500, Florin Iucha wrote:
> You didn't read my first message. I said "less than 4 GB/day" - meaning
> less than a DVD-R a day.

Of course, this is once again getting away from my point, the focus of
my comment.  Don't use CDR or DVD's AS A BLOCK DEVICE for tar images,
especially as multi-volume tar's.

Here's the difference for all practical purposes:

	tar --tape-length=$((650*1024)) -cvf tar.bin directory/
	cdrecord dev=0,1,0 speed=2 tar.bin

This is OK, as long as you only use one CD and you don't mind waiting
while the CDROM scans every sector sequentially to build the table of
contents:

	tar -tvf /dev/cdrom

However, if you want a more sane approach:

	mkdir /tmp/backup
	tar -czvf /tmp/backup/directory.tar.gz directory/
	tar -czvf /tmp/backup/directory.tar.gz directory2/
	mkisofs -o /tmp/backup.img /tmp/backup
	cdrecord dev=0,1,0 speed=2 /tmp/backup.img

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie