Steve Ulrich wrote:
> it does bear noting that with the advent of OS X you have a platform
> with enough commercial momentum (read: a populace of users willing to
> pay for good software/games) to draw good game development as well as
> an excellent unix platform.

<invective type="foolhardy" source="hardware snob">
While I am encouraged by, say, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Return to
Castle Wolfenstein coming out on the Mac within 24 months of their release
to the hordes of PC users, the Mac gaming "market" is still a tiny fraction
of the PC market, and is therefore still a shambles (cf. the recent
cancellation of the SFC II port).  **If** TransGaming's new porting
initiative (which was recently mentioned on Slashdot, but which I am not
going to cite because I am hammering this mail out between tasks at work)
does what it promises and drops the amount of re-engineering needed to bring
a *nix/OS X port to market for a given title by a large factor, that would
help.  I won't become optimistic until I see publishers backing up their
engineers' enthusiasm for Mac/Linux gaming with actual content on the
shelves for us to purchase.

As it is, being a Mac gamer is a little like being a pre-Dreamcast Sega fan:
the Genesis, SegaCD, and Saturn were all arguably the most technically
excellent consoles of their generation.  The problem?  Playing Space Harrier
and Golden Axe on a $200 SegaCD because the 'Classic 8-bit Hits' collection
is the best title out for the platform is *not* a wise use of precious
monetary resources.

As much as I love Macs, I have been burned too many times by the changeable
minds of game publishers to really believe in the Mac as a gamer's platform.
 When I bought my G3, Half-Life was "definitely" going to be ported, the
Tribes port was "on the way" (with a "simultaneous release" of Tribes2 for
Mac and PC planned!), Starcraft was "coming right along" (that one did
finally come out, two years ago IIRC), etc., etc.

Being a Mac fan *and* a gamer is a long, hard road that ends, methinks, in
owning an x86 box for gaming.
</invective>

Chris Johnson Bidler