On Sunday, May 26, 2002, at 11:22 , Samir M. Nassar wrote:

> Granted. And even after I grant many other good points. Great points
> even, that still leaves a *NIX with a shiny GUI.

Not really. They did the GUI right: they followed the Unix philosophy
when they designed it (12-15 years ago). This is more than can be said
for X.

> Maybe I am short sighted, but if I were to spend 2000 USD on a new box
> I'd rather get kick ass components. And I can factor in the kost of the
> CrossOver plug-in for running MSFT Office.

It should be noted that if you get a Mac, you *get* kick-ass components.
Taking as an example a G4 tower:
- The most advanced microcomputer architecture on the market: start with
a G4 with 2MB L3 cache. Add the fact that ethernet and firewire are
pretty much direct-to-processor (along with AGP and memory).
- A /really/ nice video card (GeForce4)
- SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
- A /really/ nice display, if you get an Apple display: they're the only
ones I know of who connect a digital display with a digital connection
(and they even use a multilateral standard). LCD displays just don't
look right if they're connected by an analog VGA connector.

And of course if you want to do upgrades, you can, using commodity
parts. Plus you don't have to run any kind of Windows to run commercial
software.

Pacem in terris / Mir / Shanti / Salaam / Heiwa
Kevin R. Bullock