I've used Slack 7.1 and 8.0, and the only real problems I've had is when
my cd-rom drives puked on me.  Slack is a good basic Linux distro, IMO.
I keep going back to it as well.  Leaves much to be set up: sound,
printing, etc, compared to RH or Debian.  But I like to learn how to do
it.  =)

If your ISO's don't work, I can burn you an 8.0 set.  Actually, I've got
the install and package iso sitting on my desk now if you need/want them.

Shawn