On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 09:27:02AM -0500, nate at refried.org wrote:
> Web forums have always sucked, IMNSHO.  The last forums that I actually
> liked, you could download the messages in QWK packets to read them
> offline.

Some people like the GUI environment.  I have NEVER understood it for
mail / forum type things.

I've got webmail running for my wife and step-daughters.  I freaked
out the younger girl a couple of months back.  She was working on my
Win98 box reading webmail, I was working on my Linux box in console
mode.  She groaned about having "lots" of e-mail to go through -
something like 30-40.  (Yeah, I know.)

She started in on hers at the same time I started in my Bujold list
backlog - about 350 messages.  She leaned back and breathed a sigh of
relief when she was done - and I told her that in the time she'd taken
to process her 30-40, I'd done 350.  She was ... surprised.

Those graphic screen re-writes KILL productivity.  So, explain to me
WHY we should want to use an environment that is INHERENTLY slower to
read what is essentially text information?

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org