> I've tried installing Mandrake 8.2, Redhat 7.2 and Redhat 7.3 on my
> Dell Inspiron, but I none of them detect the video correctly. I can
> get to the system through command line, but I can't run X.

If it is an nVidia video card, the drivers are not included with kernel or X
because nVidia has kept their drivers closed source.

You can download nVidia's Linux drivers (both kernel level driver and the X
driver) from their website at www.nvidia.com or if you might be able to find
some "leaked" drivers at www.guru3d.com

I have used these drivers before and they work quite well even if they do
fly in the face of the spirit of open source.

Loren Burlingame