On Thu, 23 May 2002, Raymond Norton wrote:

> I was running iptable firewalls on my Redhat 7.1 box without a problem. I
> had to do a new install, and can't seem to get  any iptable scripts to run
> now. This is what I get with $sh rc.firewall start

> /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: init_module:
> Device or resource busy
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod ip_tables
> failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: init_module:
> Device or resource busy
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> invalid IO or IRQ parameters
>
> I am fairly new, and don't know what to do about this.

I'm gonna guess that the default redhat ipchains is still running when
you're trying to run the iptables stuff,
run a 'lsmod' and see if ipchains shows in the list, if it does, do a
'rmmod ipchains' and then a 'modprobe iptables'  and see if that clears up
the issues yer getting.

Chris

-- LINUX, because rebooting is for adding hardware!
www.linuxsnob.com <-- a little linux humor, and a very little support.