From: linuxguy at geesper.com
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Sent: 5/22/02 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] SSH and Cisco 678

This may not be your router at all... RedHat 7.3 comes with a default
firewall configuration.  Even after you install sshd, it doesn't allow
connections on port 22.

Use the setup utility to look at your firewall settings (they are
probably
at High or Medium security) and make sure that in the "Extra ports"
field
port 22 is available.

> Well I've solved my DSL/Linux issue thanks to a very kind TCLUG
member.

> I now have a Cisco 678 and Red Hat 7.3 up and running.  The 678 is
> doing NAT and I'm trying to get sshd working on the RH box behind it.
> I can SSH to localhost, and my private IP on the LAN and it works
fine,
> so I think SSH is setup correctly.  I added a line to the NAT table on
> the modem for port 22, pointing it to my local IP.  When I type show
> nat it looks like this:
>
> Local IP : Port      Global IP : Port      Timer Flags    Proto
> Interface 10.0.0.3:22     209.98.143.114:22           0   0x00041  tcp
>  eth0 wan0-0
>
> When I try to connect to my public address (or ip) it stalls.  I ran
> ssh -v -v -v and it gets just as far if I try to connect to a box that
> doesn't exist.  So I've narrowed it down to the modem (I think).  Are
> there any tricks to get the 678 to correctly forward those requests?
> How can I troubleshoot this or test it?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Minnesota