On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 06:13, linuxguy at geesper.com wrote:
> This may not be your router at all... RedHat 7.3 comes with a default
> firewall configuration.  Even after you install sshd, it doesn't allow
> connections on port 22.
>
> Use the setup utility to look at your firewall settings (they are probably
> at High or Medium security) and make sure that in the "Extra ports" field
> port 22 is available.

THe firewall settings are a good thing to check. I had forgotten that I
did have to make a change to allow ssh through the firewall. You might
also want to check /etc/inetd.conf and the /etc/xinetd.d directory, to
make sure that sshd will even start on request (assuming it is running
under the control of inetd or xinetd).

Someone had mentioned routing from your LAN to the router's WAN
interface and back into the LAN as being a problem. For what it's worth,
I can ssh out to my static IP address from my LAN, and my packets are
"NAT-ed" back into my network just fine. Are you running the latest
revision of the firmware for your 678? My version dates to just after
Code Red last summer, don't have the actual number handy.

--
Dave Sherman               Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA             for you are crunchy,