On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 10:49:15AM -0500, Amy Tanner wrote:
> Yes, I realize I can do this.  I'm trying to use apt for everything,
> though.  And this package will be installed as part of my custom
> kickstart.  Using apt for kickstarts rocks.

Why?  Apt is a front-end to the lower level tools like dpkg, dpkg-deb,
and in your case rpm.  It's not a replacement; it's a tool of
enhancement.  I run into this type of problem with FAI, a similar
product to Kickstart.  A key difference being that FAI provides hooks
for custom scripting to get around problems that apt can't solve or
conflicts it can't resolve.

rpm and dpkg also operate at different levels, and dpkg itself isn't the
lowest-level package handler, that being dpkg-deb. apt solves a lot of
problems with package acquisition, but it doesn't solve all problems
with package management.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie