I believe I just saw something about this in the SANS NewsBites.  Here
you go:

http://www.incidents.org/diary/diary.php?id=152

An excerpt:

Large scale MSSQL scans.
========================

For the last few days, we received a number of reports of widespread
scans of port 1433. The most common use of port 1433 is Microsoft's
SQL server.

Just this march, a vulnerability in SQL Server 7.0 and 2000 was shown
to allow access to the the security context of the server
(http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2002-0154). Microsoft
released and advisory and a patch for this problem.
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-020.asp
)

It has also been known that many administrators do not change the
default password for the administrator account. SQL Server by default
ships with no password set for this account
( http://www.bhs.silesianet.pl/html/sql.htm ).