As far as I know, the Intel thing will never work with linux.  It's built
like a winmodem.

Find out if you are using CAP or DMT.  If you are using CAP, you'll be able
to use a 675, which go for much less.  In fact, I have one laying around
that I don't need anymore.  Does the 677 use DMT?  The 678 can do either,
depending on which software is loaded on it.

Jay