From: "Mike Nixon" <mcnixon at wwdb.org>
To: <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 12:01 PM
Subject: [TCLUG] Mediacom, Linksys BEFSR41, and Firewalls

> Does anyone have any experience with Mediacom (as a cable internet
provider)?
> My high speed access options (in Maple Plain) are either DSL through
Citizen Communications (~$50/mo) or Cable through Mediacom (~$30/mo if I get
my own Cable modem).

> My employer will allow me to access their VPN (in windoze) over cable/DSL
if I use a Linksys Router like the BEFSR41.  The best price I see local is
about $90 at MicroCenter or BestBuy, but Amazon.com has them for $70.  Any
other good deals I've overlooked?

> Does the Linksys Router do anything more than NAT?
> (Doesn't a Cisco 675/678 DSL router do NAT? - my church doesn't have a
firewall (hardware or pc), but I'd swear the Cisco 675 there is doing NAT)
> I don't understand what other benefits I would get if I setup a linux pc
to act as a firewall?  (any good sites that explain this?)