On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 04:12:56PM -0500, Amy Tanner wrote:
> General apt question:  when a package is 'held back', what can  you do
> to determine why?

I tend to go for brute force in this situation:  apt-get install heldpkg

Usually, it's held back either because other packages would have to be
removed due to conflicts or because the package's dependencies cannot
be satisfied.  Explicitly telling apt to upgrade the package will cause
it to tell you what else would have to be done to make the upgrade.

(The one time this could cause problems is when the held package was
manually placed on hold and is otherwise upgradable, in which case
a quick ^C as soon as you see the new version being downloaded will
prevent the update.)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss