On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 09:56:25AM -0500, Nate Carlson wrote:
>Windows 2000 and XP have a built in client that works great with it, I
>actually wrote documentation on configuring it a while ago:
>
>http://www.natecarlson.com/include/showpage.php?cat=linux&page=ipsec-x509

mmmmmmm i love real-time.

>(I know, I know, I need to rewrite my PHP stuff -- that URL is ugly.)
>
>For other versions of windows, or if you want a client that 'normal'
>(idiot) users can deal with, check out www.ipsec.com (SSH Sentinel) --
>these guys are actually providing support for FreeS/WAN, it's pretty cool.

Yeah, I saw that too. Neat stuff. I've been meaning to try this but haven't
gotten to it yet.

>We just set up one of our clients [speak up if you want] with a IPSec
>solution where they do a Sprint dialup from laptops, and after the link is
>up, the Sprint dialer automatically launches the ipsec.exe utility [which
>I discuss on my page above], and brings up a VPN connection to their
>corporate network. So, all the Windows user sees is a dos box come up for
>a minute while it connects, and then they can browse their domain at the
>office. Pretty sweet..

how much overhead does the IPSEC add to the communication between client
and server? Is it negligible? I would think it would be. What about the
server end, does it need to be a real ass kicker or what?

--
Ben Lutgens				 | http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
System Administrator	 | http://www.sistina.com/

"If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back to you
hunt it down and set it on fire" -- George Carlin