On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 02:54:54PM -0500, Duncan Shannon wrote:
> So, is encrypting mail just a client issue? Are there server solutions?
> Can I (or real time, or any ISP) offer secure email that isint client based?

A year and a half ago, my company was looking at hooking up with a
company called hushmail (IIRC) which provided secure "email" services
by making the whole thing web-based and only allowing https
connections.  But they cheated - it didn't interact with SMTP.  The
messages were kept on their network of servers and, when you sent a
message to someone, hushmail stored the actual message and just sent
the intended recipient a 'click here to read your encrypted message'
note.

Not real standards-compliant and, IMO, a pretty lame setup, but it
looks like something that should work and be pretty secure if that's
your primary concern.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss