when last we saw our hero (Wednesday, May 08, 2002),
 Chad Walstrom was madly tapping out:
> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 02:12:31PM -0500, Joel Rosenberg wrote:
> > Which is better than nothing, but not nearly as good as with present
> > phone systems, which tell the folks at 911 with rather a lot more
> > specificity as to where the call is originating.  (As I understand it,
> > that's now common on cell phones, as well.)
>
> There may be a way that the phone company can spoof caller id & address
> info.  Obviously, it's a complicated problem. ;-/

actually it's pretty trivial for the phone company to spoof caller id.  in
fact if you have a PRI for your voice service you can signal your outgoing
number information.  this is commonly used on PBXs to allow caller id to
show appropriately on trunks with DIDs.

my outgoing number at a previous employer was 800-8135. :-)

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC