Joel Rosenberg wrote:
>>Nate wrote:
>>	Phone Sales Rep: "Thank you for your order.  Now, as part of the
>>	registration procedure, we need to find out what area code you
>>	would like to route 911 call to."
>>	Customer: "612, please"
>>	Phone Sales Rep: "Thank you.  Your records will be updated on
>>	our system immediately."
>>	Customer: "Gee, thanks!"
 >
> Which is better than nothing, but not nearly as good as with present phone
> systems, which tell the folks at 911 with rather a lot more specificity as to
> where the call is originating.  (As I understand it, that's now common on
> cell phones, as well.)

'Course, without much more effort than the above script, they could
collect address or GPS coordinates, and provided you keep that info up
to date (put a GPS in the box?), you've got fairly decent method for
locating the origin of the call. I'd imagine the hold-up is more of an
administrative/liability issue than anything technical.

carlos