> I just got a new laptop, and because of the nature of it, I am on different
> networks all the time with it. Some networks have DHCP (well, most do) but a
> few do not. The few that dont all use the same subnet (thankfully), so I was
> wondering if there is anything like what XP has for configuring the IP
> address (ie- try DHCP if it fails fallback to an alternate IP address). I
> know pump has some scripting capabilities, is this possible?

dhclient has fallbacks that you can set, to assign a set of network
parameters if a dhcp server doesn't respond.
I used to use it when running OpenBSD on my laptop; and it does work. It
just takes a (seemingly) long while to timeout listening for a server, and
use the defaults.
I got sick of waiting for it (which is saying a lot, since I'm normally
pretty patient about this stuff), and just set up a DHCP server on my home
network, so I don't need it anymore. :)

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer