On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 09:50:38AM -0500, Robert P. Goldman wrote:

> Does anyone know if it's possible (and if so, how) to exchange
> encrypted emails from Linux with folks who are using the 3DES
> encryption that's built into outlook?  I'm corresponding with some
> folks who are unlikely to learn and start using GPG just to please me,
> but we'd like to exchange secure emails.  Any suggestions?  (Does
> evolution do this by any chance?  Never used it.)

I'll be interested in the answer too!

I'm in the process of getting Verisign-authenticated digital
signatures and encryption working for my upper management.  (I do
WinTel Desktop Support for living, trying to get enough experience in
to actually move to *nix admin!)  I just _know_ I'm going to get asked
'how does the guy on the other end get to talk to me?' at some point.

FWIW, Outlook believes it needs your digital signature / public key on
file (under Certificates) before it will send encrypted e-mail to you.
I've found two ways to get the certificate on file - received a
digitally signed piece of mail, or import a saved certificate.  I know
_nothing_ about the format of the saved certificate - I really should
look at one sometime!

If anyone wants to do some testing, I'm willing to be a knowledgeable
Outlook side guinea pig.  Send me e-mail at scott_raun at cnt.com if
you're interested.

At some point I need to get GPG working on this box - but that's in
queue for _after_ I get a couple of WinTel boxes built, and get X
working on this box.  Yes, it's probably going to be a matter of just
setting up a key-pair and publishing it to the world - with luck, I'll
be able to find / import / whatever an old one.  I'm doing a lousy job
of tracking my PGP / GPG keys.

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org