i have no idea how the outlook encryption works but if it's 3DES it's
going to require some sort of key negotiation.  there are pgp and iirc gpg
plug-ins for outlook.  have you investigated these plugins.  you might get
exactly what you want from your perspective with a shiny wrapper for them
to use.

when last we saw our hero (Sunday, May 05, 2002),
 Robert P. Goldman was madly tapping out: