What a fine Fri, May 03, 2002 at 05:02:15PM -0500 it was when Erik Mitchell said:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 4000, which I believe is still available (only
> better and cheaper) as a Inspiron 4100. I think I paid about $1600 about
> 1 year ago. It is a Pentium III 850 with 128 MB of RAM.
>
> The only thing that isn't supported is the modem, but I didn't expect
> that.

I got a Dell Inspiron 4000 also a little over a year ago.  It was a
refurbished system so a little cheaper and not as fast, etc.  The modem is
supported, although I don't use it, I use the onboard NIC.  It took me a while
to get X working on it under debian, and I unfortunately didn't document what
I did.  Now I use RH which was no trouble to get working on this machine.

I love my laptop, but Dell tech support sucks.  If you have any problems with
it and they aren't resolved right away, just exchange it for a new one.  :)

Check out http://www.linux-laptop.net also... I did this before my purchase to
make sure other people had got linux working on my model before me.  It has
links to lots of people's "how to"s and stories about getting various distros
to work on various laptop models and brands.

Hope that helps!

Lorry