On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 01:33:18PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Quoting Chad Walstrom (chewie at wookimus.net):
> > Frankly, I would love to do other things to enhance security before
> > incorporating Kerberos.  i.e. NFS over TCP+ssl, etc.
>
> Isn't that just AFS+Kerberos = NFS+TCP+ssl?

As far as security goes, maybe.  Functionality, not even close.

NFS
 - Uses UNIX native permissions
 - Easily compromised from a local root user su-ing to another user
 - Local area file system
 - Lots of little exports
 - Use what the OS gives you
 - Uses groups from yp and /etc/group
 - Uses standard unix file system tools (chmod, chown, etc)
 - Client keeps a cache of a few MB

AFS
 - Uses fine grained ACLs (read, lookup, insert, delete, write, lock,
   admin)
 - Each person must be authenticated with Kerberos
 - Global file system
 - One common view of the AFS tree
 - Built in volume manager
 - Users can make their own groups and add whoever they want
 - Comes with it's own file system tools (fs, pts, etc)
 - Client keeps a cache of 50 - 100 MB

Not that I wanted to start an NFS vs AFS flamewar.  Just don't insult
AFS as being like NFS.

Nate
ex-AFS user