I installed SAMBA usign apt.  According to the man page for samba, the page is current for version 2.2.  and hosts does have a list of the ip of the computers.

DHCP assigns the same ip to each computer on reboot so it is almost like have a static ip.  I have smb.conf line that states to allow 192.168.0

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Clay Fandre [mailto:clay at fandre.com]
Sent: Wed 5/1/2002 9:38 PM
To: TCLUG List
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] printing problems and a ping problem

How did you install samba? Via apt or did you compile it? Do you have
all the hostnames/IP addresses of all your client machines in
/etc/hosts on debian?

I doubt that DHCP has anything to do with your problem, but you can
check this by setting it statically on those machines.

If you are having problems pinging, you probably have some ipchains or
iptables rules. What does ipchains -L (or iptables -L) show you?