I have two different IMAP servers that my mail is on.  One is my school mail,
and one is my personal mail.  I like to keep them separate.  I use mutt for
both, but my personal mail I check using mutt on my laptop and for my school
mail, I use mutt either at school or by ssh to school.

My personal mail mutt is working fine and is as colorful as I could want.  My
school mail mutt is not colorful, whether I am at school or ssh'ing.  I am not
that concerned about it, but the recent thread has me wondering more about it.
If there is no solution, no biggie, but I'm curious.

Here are the details:

**My personal mail mutt (working):
alcyone at aldebaran [~] > mutt -v
Mutt 1.3.27i (2002-01-22)
[snip]
System: Linux 2.4.9-31 (i686) [using ncurses 5.2]

alcyone at aldebaran [~] > cat .muttrc
[snip]
# Color Definitions #######################################################
color normal default default
color hdrdefault cyan default
[etc.]

**My school mail mutt (not working):
strother at ash [~] > mutt -v
Mutt 1.3.28i (2002-03-13)
[snip]
System: SunOS 5.8 (sun4u)

- If I use the color definitions from my home .muttrc, I get errors because
  "default" is not a recognized color.
- If I change the colors to all recognized colors (no defaults), all the
  colors show up as my xterm default fg/bg anyway.
- When I ssh to school, I can see colors in other progs (ls --color, man,
  vim, etc.)
- When I am actually at school, I never see any colors other than my default
  fg/bg in an xterm.  "Colors" in man, vim, etc. show up as bolding and
underlining.  Colors in non-console apps (Netscape, acroread, etc.) are normal.
- using ssh:
strother at ash [~] > set term=xterm-color
tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.
strother at ash [~] > set term=rxvt
tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.
strother at ash [~] > mutt
Sorry, I don't know anything about your "rxvt" terminal.

setting term to xterm, xtermc, and vt100 work, but still there are no colors
in mutt.  In all above cases (even in "using dumb..") ls --color, etc. show
colors.

Thanks,
Lorry