Dave Erickson <dave at rightwithgod.org> wrote:

> I am using Slackware 8
>
> I thought about Samba but it seems kind of overkill. Is there much
> overhead having it running all the time? Or can I just start it up when
> I want to move files?

Samba can pretty much run either way.  Debian testing/unstable's package
will prompt you and ask if you'd like to have Samba run on-demand via
[x]inetd, or if you'd like it to be always running as a daemon.  Shouldn't
be too hard to configure on Slack if you like, or just have a script to
start/stop the daemons that you run by hand.  However, I've never really
had a need to turn off Samba if it was on a system where the service would
actually get used.

> Would it be possible to burn cdr's over the network through Samba? I
> have all SCSI on my Linux box and would never want to pollute it with
> IDE/ATAPI ;-) but the drive are so much less and are outdated so fast it
> would be a nice work around if you could do it.  ie: 'cdrecord
> /mnt/samba/windows_box/cdrw_drive/file.iso'

You can't use Samba and cdrecord to burn to a CD on a Windows system, if
that's what you're looking for.  But, if you're just reading a file over
the network to burn locally, that's easy enough.  You'll probably want to
be running over Fast Ethernet, though.  Switched 10Meg Ethernet will only
be fast enough up to a certain point -- 6x would be pushing it.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   "Were they sent to Hell?"