I use Debian, so things may be slightly different. Anyway, Debian uses
/etc/init.d/networking to configure the network interfaces at boot. I
threw the "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" command in there. Not
the best idea really, a dist-upgrade could blow that away if the
networking script gets updated, but it works.

Doesn't RedHat have an rc.local hack? Or did they finially do away with
that?

In any case, anytime I need to run something on boot I write a init.d
script for it. It's really easy, Debian even includes
/etc/init.d/skeleton, which is basically a template for init.d scripts.

The two options I'm aware of are rc.local and write your own init.d
script. There is probally a way to do it with checkcfg/linuxconf, but I
don't use Red Hat so I'm not aware of it.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making
a stable operating system and Linus Torvalds claims
to be trying to take over the world."