On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 04:37:11AM -0600, Ben Bargabus wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been messing around with iptables and ip aliasing on a redhat 7.2
> box and everything seems to be coming together but whenever I reboot all
> my changes go away when the startup scripts are run.  Anyway there are
> about a million places that startup information is being stored so I'm
> wondering where each of my statements should go.  Is there a good source
> online (HOWTO, faq, etc...) that describes what goes where and the order
> in which things should happen?

You can use linuxconf (cough, gag) for the IP aliases, or /etc/rc.d/rc.local,
as for the iptables rules you should use the iptables 'service' as follows:

chkconfig --level 3 iptables on
^- This turns on the iptables 'service' (it's probably already on, but do it anyway)

After you've configured the rules how you want them, or make new changes:
/etc/init.d/iptables save

This will save the rules to a file hiding in /etc/sysconfig somewhere so that
when you reboot it will restore them exactly how you had them.

/etc/init.d/iptables also has some other useful commands:

stop: turn off all iptables rules
start: manual start, loads saved rules
restart: clear the rules, and reload from the saved file
status: print out the current rules
panic: turn the system into a black hole and drop *everything* (not a good idea
to do this remotely)

http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                  GPG public key 0x01938203